replace rad with towel rail problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to replace the rad in our bathroom with a towel rail.

The current rad is 800mm wide, the c/h runs off a vokera 20/80 combi boiler and this rad doesn't have a trv.

The problem I have is that the towel rail is only 600mm wide so I will have to take off the valves to try and adjust the pipework. How do I remove the 2 valves without flooding the bathroom?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
There should be a drain cock on a downstairs rad, or all of them if they are all on drops. Turn boiler off, connect a hose to these and open drain cock. Open air bleed valves on upstairs rads first then when water stops running from hose the downstairs ones.

Sponsored Links
sorry, im going to sound really thick now. what will the drain cock look like? and where near the radiator will it be?

It will be a brass outlet fitted in a 't' under the radiator that a hose will slip over. If its a loose fit you will ideally need a hose clip around it to tighten it to help prevent leaks. Could be that you have locksheild valves with built in drain offs, chrome bits that a hose will fit over.

rob7475 said:
sorry, im going to sound really thick now. what will the drain cock look like? and where near the radiator will it be?

It would be wise to not only be able know how to drain the system correctly but also to be able to refill and bleed the air from the system afterwards, suggest you read a lot more before attempting this changeover.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but could I just leave the old valves on the copper pipes and then run an extension from the valves to the new towel rail?

If I can, this will save me draining the system won't it?

Thanks

Rob

you'd better learn how to drain and refill. It's not difficult.

i've looked on every radiator in the house and there is no drain cock.

i just wanted to know before i start searching again for a drain cock, if it's possible to put an extension pipe between the valve and the towel radiator?

i've looked on every radiator in the house and there is no drain cock.

i just wanted to know before i start searching again for a drain cock, if it's possible to put an extension pipe between the valve and the towel radiator?

I dont wish to sound condesending (prod sic) but you seem a little way out of your depth already.

By draining systems you can encounter problems (when you find the doc). If not, remore a rad and make fittings up to allow you to drain.
Alternatively, 'cut' a doc in and then use it.

On your system very few problems can occur, but you need to:

vent system,
frequently top up (whilst venting)
ensure doc washer does not leak
introduce inhibitor on refilling
ensure boiler's AAV will vent.

Basic stuff but you must understand it before you take on the job.

Dave

rob7475

The problem I have is that the towel rail is only 600mm wide so I will have to take off the valves to try and adjust the pipework. How do I remove the 2 valves without flooding the bathroom?

Dont do it.
If you cannot get a towel rail near the correct size then get a good plumber in to modify the pipework under the floor and run some nice chrome pipe up to the towel rail and fit chrome covers where the pipe exits the floor.
You can do the grunt work yourself and rip the floorboards up or if its a screed then get your kango out.
Ive seen a few narrow rads fitted and modifications made to the pipework above floor level.
Not very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back