Rad and towel rail in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have had a heated towel rail on our bathroom for a while now and in the winter it doesn't kick out enough heat to heat the room as well.

Therefore I want to add a rad as well.

The problem is that it is only a small wall so really the only option is to place the towel rail above the radiator. My issue is that if they both have TRVs surely the towel rad will sense the heat from the rad and turn off. Is this correct? Are there any other options?

See pic below.

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
That is correct - get a towel rail with a rad in the middle :idea:

If both will be run off your central heating, then, if you are going to use the existing pipework, would it not be possible to fit an in-line TRV into the pipework before the split to the two devices? Then just fit ordinary valves to the towel rail and radiator and leave them fully open.

Sponsored Links
I was going to suggest simply removing the towel rail TRV. Most people want their towel rails warm even if the room is already warm and like you say they don't kick out much heat. Oldbuffer's idea might be better if you aren't continually drying towels. Or you could replace the towel rail TRV with a manual valve so you can turn it on and off as needed. All assuming the CH is on.

I would do as suggested above - put them in parallel with lockshield valves on the HTR - which can become the system bypass.

Better still, If you have a separate boiler and cylinder, tee the HTR off after the pump but before the motorised valve. The HTR will then be warmed whenever the boiler fires, either fro CH or DHW or both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back