Can anyone solve this towel rail problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had wood panelling installed in the bathroom some years ago and the bathroom rad was turned off so as not to warp the wood. Now SWMBO would like to replace the rad with a towel rail.

The problem is the size. There is 1000mm between the two hex bolts on the pipes either side of the rad.

I have trawled the net but cannot find a towel rail that is both 1000mm wide AND has the joints facing the right way.

Is the only solution to buy a towel rail and then have someone redo some of the piping?

Sponsored Links
Err... I took a couple of pics, uploaded them to my profile and expected to see them in the post...

How can I show them?

the biggest one i've seen is 900mm wide & the tappings are in the bottom not the side like your rad, you might be able to re-use the valve & turn them sideways but some alteration of the plumbing will still be req & it will look exactly what it is a bodge, much better to alter the pipework underneath the floor & bring the pipes up in the right place for something like a 600mm wide towel rail

Sponsored Links
Err... I took a couple of pics, uploaded them to my profile and expected to see them in the post...

How can I show them?
Under the editing window while typing, you'll see a blue link that says "Show My Images", if you click it you'll see a drop down menu of your albums and a row of images for the selected album - just click on an image and the code will be added to the text box.
Or above the images in the image viewer, there are two boxes containing the code that you can copy and paste to get the image inline like this :

and this

And if you struggle to see what your posting will look like, you can click on Preview and you'll see a preview of what you've entered so far, with an editing box below it. Don't forget that you won't have put the posting on the board at this point - you still need to click Submit for that to happen.

As to your question, if you could find a rail wide enough, then you'd remove the two valves (would need at least a partial system drain down) and replace them with straight valves that would go directly into the bottom of the rail. But as CBF has suggested you won't find one wide enough, then that's out.

Looking at things, it'll make a mess to start pulling the floor up - which as suggested would be the correct way to do it. So I can see a few ways of doing it, which if done by a skilled plumber might not look too bad.

1) Form the pipes to an off set ("swan neck" bend) - for a 900mm wide rail you'd be looking at something like a 50-60mm offset each side. Since I don't think it'll be possible* to do that in 15mm in-situ, it would probably mean shortening the pipes and using an inline joint to fit a new piece that's been bent in the bender. The joint can be reasonably inconspicuous if done neatly with endfeed fittings of by swaging the end of one pipe to form a socket.
* I wouldn't try, but no doubt someone will tut and say it's easy if you know how to work pipe and have the right tools.

2) If that won't work, take one pipe straight into the rail, and offset the other with two elbows. It will be obvious that it's not been done "right", but could be neat enough if done skillfully.

3) Fit an elbow on the top of each pipe, a short length of pipe, and angled valves with the stems horizontal underneath the rail. Ie, using the same valves, turn them through 90˚ so the pipe entries are horizontal, and the rad connections are vertical.
It would look "odd" to say the least !

Doing soldering on those pipes without damaging the wall, floor, or sealant will need care.

Just for reference, rad and towel rails normally have 1/2" BSP tapped holes - and you fit your choice of valves. Unless you buy a "package", then normally the valves don't come with either. Radiators usually have connections on the sides and use angled valves, towel rails normally have the connections on the bottom and can use straight valves to connect to vertical pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back