Help choosing correct width towel radiator please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are wanting to replace the existing traditional radiator with a towel rad. Current radiator is 440mm wide, pipe centres are 515mm.

Nearest size towel rad we can find is 500mm wide.

How would I connect the feed pipes to the towel rad given a difference of 7.5mm either side?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
hi-spec plumbing heating said:
you can't without altering pipework.
towel rads always look better done in chrome pipe anyway.

Thanks. Problem is the pipe come out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Old rad probably low down, towel rail probably mounted higher up the wall. If this sounds about right the difference in installation height might afford successful fitting. Creative bending of chrome pipes might fix the problem - take the pipes 'wide' and come in on the towel rail (valves pointing out-over) or take the pipes 'narrow' to the TRail (valves in-over).

A pic of your setup would help.

Forgot to mention - is the towel rail to be the only source of heat in the bathroom as you're replacing a rad (chilly in Winter when getting out of bath). If it is the only heat source you might want to do some heat loss calculations for the bathroom and get a T/Rail that's man-enough for the job.

Symptoms said:
A pic of your setup would help.

Pic below (actually is the downstairs rad but same configuration as bathroom rad)

DSCF0029.jpg

is that plasterboard wall ?
you say you only need 7 mm movement each side of rad, is there no movement in pipe at all when disconnected from rad?

I would presume your wall the pipe comes out of is plaster board ,you could cut a bit of the plasterboard away around where the pipes come out and see if you have enough movement on them, there is usualy a bit of play .or even alter pipe within the wall.. Other than that i would go for a 600MM wide rad as if pipework has to be altered it will look nicer being under the rad as opposed to outside coming in

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
is that plasterboard wall ?
you say you only need 7 mm movement each side of rad, is there no movement in pipe at all when disconnected from rad?

Yes plasterboard wall. Haven't disconnected the rad from valves so don't know about movement. Will try tonight.

namsag said:
you could cut a bit of the plasterboard away around where the pipes come out and see if you have enough movement on them, there is usualy a bit of play .or even alter pipe within the wall.. Other than that i would go for a 600MM wide rad as if pipework has to be altered it will look nicer being under the rad as opposed to outside coming in

Will check movement once rad is removed.

Regarding the drain point on the rads (see pic), the outlet is to the right, where the nut is to slacken. Is it just a case of loosening the square until water comes out then quickly put a hose pipe on?

Previous house had a drain point angled downwards with the square nut to the side (put hose pipe on drain point then loosen the nut)

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Hi spec has forgot to allow where holes are on towel rad, pipe centres on a 500 towel rad are approx 470... Also towel rads usually stick a good bit away from wall so chances are your existing pipes won`t stick out far enough and will still need altering

while you're tinkering, fit some valves with drainoff downstairs for the future, as you say, they are very handy.

Know what you mean hi spec amount of times you look at something after and think how did i miss that, i was half way through typing it only has to move half inch in total when the brain kicked in. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back