Replacing towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys. The towel radiator we have in place gets very hot but doesn't heat bathroom very well, so was thinking about replacing with a standard radiator in a bigger size.

Never removed or swapped a towel before, not sure best way.

The pipes come through the wall & we want to keep it the same way. The old rad is 500mm wide. If we buy the new one with same width, is it a straight forward swap or do I need to take other things into consideration?
It looks to me I will need to drain the system down first, am i correct? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_122619.jpg
    IMG_20230225_122619.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230225_122657.jpg
    IMG_20230225_122657.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Yes ,you will need to drain the system,if it's fed from a loft tank ensure the tank is clean before draining to prevent crud entering the system.
You will also certainly need to ammend the pipework to suit your new rads valves/ inlets.

or stick with a 500mm towel rad and get a taller one with a lot more bars on it
Hi gas112, we already have a largish one installed & doesn't get warm enough in bathroom. Thought swapping to standard radiator but bigger, would make the difference.

Sponsored Links
Hi gas112, we already have a largish one installed & doesn't get warm enough in bathroom. Thought swapping to standard radiator but bigger, would make the difference.
from your pic i can see 9 bars with possibly another couple . that is not a large tool rad what height is yours ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back