Towel rad replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our towel rad is ineffective at heating the kitchen, and there's no space to put another rad anywhere else. I was thinking of replacing it.

Current rad is 3268 BTU, calculator says for the room it should be 4100, but there are three exits: French windows to patio, drafty garage door and an opening into the hall so I was planning to just go over the top with the replacement.

Can anyone recommend a 600mm x 2100 mm max rad that's going to chuck out the most heat and not cost the earth? Ideal if the pipe centers are 560mm like the current one.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. I assume the current heater is 600 wide by 2100 high.
2. If the pipe centres are 560 mm, then allowing for valves at the side of a radiator you are probably looking for a width of 560 - (2 x 40) = 480 mm.
3. Look up radiators this width (or narrower unless you want to modify the pipe centres) and try and find one that gives out the heat you want.
4. I suspect you will struggle to find anything suitable, and will need to consider more traditional (rather than vertical) radiators.

Sponsored Links
is that one stainless? the chromed steel ones seem prone to rust.

Don't forget that the output stated is for the towel rail when uncovered. When it's buried under fluffy insulating towels its output is reduced considerably.
Right, definitely a factor here, best way to stop that happening is to not have a towel rad methinks. :sneaky:

These tubular column type rads are ok at heating smaller spaces but not so good at heating larger spaces. This is because a lot of their heat output is radiant rather than convection.
I've lost count the number I have been asked to replace due to the customer not being happy about the way they heat the space and have gone back to conventional, albeit newer contemporary looking, convection rads.

Just something to keep in mind

Just something to keep in mind

I hear you, and I'm the same. I've got an office with sloping ceilings and all the heat just ends up above waist level instead of convecting round. If I had the money I'd get underfloor heating in the kitchen, but that means a lot more £££. That said, I do know people who hate underfloor heating because it's also the 'wrong kind of heat'. It's hard to beat the tried-and-tested radiator-under-window approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back