Replacing retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The facts;

My property is about 3 ft lower than my neighbours
There is about 5ft height to the top of this wall on my/low side
The foundation concrete is at ground level and will need redoing
The wall is approx 28yds long and is stepped as it also runs downhill away from the house.
It's amazing it is still almost upright as it is 9" breize block to ground level and 4"above :cry:

I plan to rebuild this so a few guidelines before I ask for quotes would be welcome.

What do I need, 12" below and 6" above?, it will be either concrete block , reconstituted stone or even natural stone

A weeping drain at foundation level that naturally drains from the property?, as at present there is just on 4" pipe running through the wall at the top.

And I know it's impossible but based on material choice, just how expensive is this going to prove.?

Just want to ensure I am getting a good job and the spec is correct,
Cheers ;)

Sponsored Links
A 215mm thick engineering brick wall should be fine for 3ft retaining.. especially with extra brickwork over.. you can change to face bricks about 150mm above ground level (so above the splash zone).. gonna need 600mm wide x 300mm deep footing..

Normally you drain the back of the wall some pea shingle in a teram wrap behind the wall as a drain and then put in some weep holes in the wall (drill 50mm cores a couple of courses above the lower ground level) to allow any water pressure to trickle out during heavy rain.. bear in mind this is not to drain the soil but to take away water pressure from the wall..

You will only need to step out the wall width if your retaining more than 1m or so..

Hmm how long is the wall gonna be.. anything over about 6m may need movement joints to stop it cracking..

Cheers mate,

As said the wall is 28yrds ish long, would have hoped to take the drain out to the road which if preferable to me an the neighbour.

Thanks.

Sorry should say 12m ish on brickwork walls.. so gonna need one joint at the least..

Sponsored Links
Unless you can prove that existing drains onto the road putting a new land drain into the public highway would require HA approval and i serious doubt they will ever allow it..

Unless you can prove that existing drains onto the road putting a new land drain into the public highway would require HA approval and i serious doubt they will ever allow it..

The neighbour had a rear extension built about 8 years ago which gave a low level area that was drained at a slighly higher level to the base line of the wall and about 18" away from it, this was run to to low point of his property and drains direcly to the highway. My proposalwould be draining the same area but 18" lower thasn existing??

By the sounds of it what your neighbour did is illegal.. and i very much doubt he got highways agreements in place to do such..

Might wanna look at draining to a soakaway instead if you really need to drain the whole of your neighbours garden..

By the sounds of it what your neighbour did is illegal.. and i very much doubt he got highways agreements in place to do such..

Might wanna look at draining to a soakaway instead if you really need to drain the whole of your neighbours garden..

That's not beyond the realms of possibility as they say.

I will talk it over with whichever builder I go with.

Any idea anyone on app cost???

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back