Replacing sand & cement render on internal wall advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please can I get some advice on replacing the cement render on this window wall? Picture attached

I have also attached a close up picture of the cement render on other walls so you can see what it's like

The cement render was all cracked and falling off above the window, behind is the brick as you can see and there is also a little bit of wood along the top.

I want to replace the cement render and then re-skim with gypsum multifinish

I was considering using Weber one coat render? I would use bonding coat or hardwall but I've read that on walls that are external such as the window wall, using bonding or hardwall could potentially cause damp issues 1 day.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 273008167_10228286364084594_4057724133853897819_n.jpeg
    273008167_10228286364084594_4057724133853897819_n.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 183
  • pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
1. straighten up those small patches & use a render mix of 3:1 sand & cement.
2. the "bit of wood" looks like the wall plate - is this a single story extn?
3. take out suction from the wood with two coats of pva and then heavy taping.
Do you intend to skim the whole wall?

4. does the new frame have a new lintel?
5. frames are best set 75mm inside from the face of the wall.
6. penetrating damp issues are typically found in solid walls.

Hi Teli80,

Thanks so much for your reply, its a 2nd floor single bedroom, by taping you mean scrim tape?

I do intend to skim the wall, what do you mean by does the frame have a new lintel? frame?

If that bit of wood is the Lintel, then no it's not new and I won't be touching that.

Yes I agree now after thinking it through a little more, this is a cavity wall so I believe using something like hardwall or bonding coat would be fine as well as no damp will get through both walls and the cavity.

Thanks

Its a timber wall plate - nothing to do with a lintel.
Yes to the tape.
Frame refers to the window frame.
Immediately above your window was a new lintel installed or was the old lintel left in place?

Sponsored Links
cut the cement back straight . stick a plasterboard section in , tape the join and skim........
if cementing the timber the top should be pinned with eml before .
pva -wood-tape? what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back