Replacing sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sealant around the PVCu door and windows installed a little under 10 years ago has gaps all over. Frames and units are fine - just draughty, leaky gaps everywhere. I tried to replace some around the front bay window myself last year and made quite a mess so what do you advise?

I contacted the original installers who quoted £400 to replace all sealant to front of house but they have failed to a) put quote in writing or b) give date for work to commence so I don't hold much hope there.

Sponsored Links
also sounds expensive for a couple of tubes of mastic and a ladder

probably why then, they may be quoting for a cherry picker or scafholding

Sponsored Links
If the original installers aren't interested in making my allegedly Weatherproof Windows literally weatherproof, what chance have I of getting anybody else?

That leaves me then, and I need to know what materials I should purchase; there is a vast range of sealants and I don't want to pick the wrong stuff. Secondly, as I find it diffiicult enough to seal round a bath while keeping both feet on a flat surface, any tips on sliding down a ladder while running 2 metre + bead of recommended sealant.

practice on the ground floor windows first.

if its 3 storeys high, dont use a ladder too dangerous

I'll settle for ground and first floor for now. I can hang out of 2nd floor window later.

Do I need to remove all trace of old sealant or can I go over some bits?
Should I use a proprietary PVC cleaner before starting, any recommended or to be avoided? Which sealant should I purchase? Come on folks, someone must be able to advise me. Pleeeease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back