Replacing sealed units and outside seals on uPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace a couple of failed sealed units, and this is the first time I've needed to do this. The internal wedge seals and glazing strips come out fine - I've tried a couple of strips just to see. But I just have a couple of questions:

The windows are in a flat three floors up so I will struggle to push the window units inwards from the outside if they are in tight. There are openers above the two failed units and I might be able to get a hand to them but that's it. Is it feasible to get a wire hook around the edge/front of the glazing unit to help pull it out from the inside if its a bit stuck?

The outside seals appear to have shrunk away from the corners (see pics) or were never fitted right, and look really unsightly so I want to deal with that at the same time. They have the same outward appearance as the wedge seals do inside - but I assume the outer ones must be different in design and captive to the frame. What do the outer ones typically look like and is it straight forward to replace then once the sealed units are out?

Windows will probably be around 15-20 years old.

Thanks.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes gaskets should be easily replaceable, You will need to get a bit out so that you can see and measure the cross section.
Once you have one out ebay is the best place to buy more as you can get sample packs and once you are sure of the code you can order by the meter (about 99p per M).
Alternatively you could just stretch the old ones a bit but they will shrink again in time, Having said that new ones will too.

Units wont be tight but will probably have stuck to the gaskets a bit over the years. Shouldn't cause any problems though.

Sponsored Links
Just a follow up to this - they were well and truly stuck to the seals! I could get one corner to move a bit so I ended up inserting a bent rod of metal in between window and outer seal from the inside, and working it all the way around until the window parted company. I think I have got the right E gaskets identified on ebay too. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back