Replacing section of ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to replace some sections of the ring main wiring between the joists, as it is chafed.

Am i ok to use terminal blocks / choc boxes, or should i use a junction box for each connection? What rating should i use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cable should be replaced end to end, from 1 fitting to the next.

Junctions aren't right, can fail and where absolutely necessary must be accessible.

Crimping is the only alternative, other than end to end replacement.

Not sure if i can access the entire length, as one end may go all the way back to the consumer unit, and the wiring would have been laid when the house was built.

How do i go about crimping?

Search 'crimping' on this site and you find all the detail necessary.

Sponsored Links
Whats the difference then between a connection at a 30 amp junction box, and a connection at a socket outlet?

Why should a junction box fail? Plus, i thought you could spur off any point on a ring using a junctin box?

How do i go about crimping?
crimping1ga2.jpg

There's nothing wrong with a correctly connected junction box but it does have to remain accessible for test and inspection, in the same way terminals in a socket outlet are always available for test and inspection (unless dozy bedroom fitters decide to cover them). It's the screwed connections within a junction box which can cause problems over time in that they can work loose.

Whats the difference then between a connection at a 30 amp junction box, and a connection at a socket outlet?
Connections at socket outlets are unavoidable.

Connections at socket outlets are easily accessible.

Why should a junction box fail?
Screwed joints can work loose or be badly done - that's why they are deprecated.

Plus, i thought you could spur off any point on a ring using a junctin box?
Yes, you may, but it's to be avoided if possible. Chri5 didn't say you must not use JBs, he said you should not if they can be avoided, and they can.

Hi
I need to replace some sections of the ring main wiring between the joists, as it is chafed.
How did it get chafed? What will you do to prevent the replacement from suffering the same damage?

as it's part of a ring, one perfectly acceptable method is to find the socket at each end of the section you want to replace, and run the new one between the sockets, using the socket terminals, with no joints in the new length of cable.

If you want to put some extra sockets in between the two old sockets, you can do that, too.

Thanks for all the advise - i'll go with the safest option and replace all the wire from socket to socket
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back