30A Junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've accidentally drilled through the 2.5mm ring main of the house inside a wall. Although its working but the wiring is badly chafed.
I would like to cut both the 2.5mm wires where the damage is and connect them using a junction box inside/ outside the wall.

I was wondering if there was a 30A Junction box that took 2 *2.5 mm wires or if there is a better idea, please let me know.
I know that the wires are not too tight, so they can be pulled towards each other after cutting.

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Be aware that if you do use a junction box, that the joint must then be left accessible for maintenance, inspection and testing, so cannot then be hidden/plastered over.
I would opt for putting new length of cable in or maybe installing a backbox with blank plate, or even using it as an additional socket if cable length allows and the cable is part of an unspurred section of the ring final circuit.

Sponsored Links
I am at work, so don't have the photo. The drill has damaged the insulation on both and the bare copper is visible on one. If the MCB had not tripped, I would have never noticed.

It would be a major task to route a new wire as its a long wall and it would have to be routed from outside. Worse issue is I don't know where it ends as it goes under the floor boards of the first floor at the top..

backbox with blank plate

This is what I was thinking. I would keep it accessible.

How about the junctions themselves inside the backbox? Just use a connector strip or something better?

Its the unspurred ring main. Wouldn't the socket out of it be a spur? :confused:

If the copper is not damaged in any way then it may be possible to avoid cutting the cable and use a junction box like this

AAJB30.JPG

to keep the copper apart rather than making a joint of the cut ends

The earth wire has broke while trying to open the cable. Also since both are damaged, I would rather split them and secure them properly.

Can you add a socket without extending from the 2 ring main cables?

if the 2 cables are the ring the socket would become part of the ring

Gutterball, is that allowed?

I thought the only way was to add a junction box if you wanted to add a socket to a ring without extending it.

Can you post some link/ image where it has been done?
Thanks.

the ring goes from socket to socket you are adding a socket to the ring. you would be extending the ring if you had to run the ends to a new point. try and post a picture so we can see the situation.

I'm of to work I'll look back in tonight.

backbox with blank plate
How about the junctions themselves inside the backbox? Just use a connector strip or something better?
A standard 30A connection block will be sufficient
Its the unspurred ring main. Wouldn't the socket out of it be a spur? :confused:
No it would still be part of the ring, as you have not spurred from another outlet.

Thanks for the replies pouring in. I will try to add a pic later.

So far adding a socket to the ring seems to be the best/ easiest option.

Not sure I've got it right:
When you cut the 2 wires, you would have 4 ends of LIVE, NEUTRAL and EARTH. Provided the cable length is available, do you just feed 4 of them into a socket to add it to the ring?

The earth wire has broke while trying to open the cable. Also since both are damaged, I would rather split them and secure them properly.
Can you add a socket without extending from the 2 ring main cables?
So you have two sets of cables and these both belong to the same ring final circuit?
If so and both are damaged, you can cut both sets and fit in to back box, you must connect one leg back together, so identify that leg. Then the other leg can be fitted to a socket. The addition of the socket could flag up issues with regards to additional RCD protection if not already existing on the circuit.
Always isolate and prove circuit is dead prior to starting work on the cables.

Thanks for the replies pouring in. I will try to add a pic later.

So far adding a socket to the ring seems to be the best/ easiest option.

Not sure I've got it right:
When you cut the 2 wires, you would have 4 ends of LIVE, NEUTRAL and EARTH. Provided the cable length is available, do you just feed 4 of them into a socket to add it to the ring?

As previous post by me, you keep one leg continuous, so connect that via 30A choc block and the other leg would then be connected to the socket terminals 2 live, 2 neutral and 2 CPC/earth from the other leg of ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back