Replacing shaver light - wired to the mains circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My shaver light/socket (inherited with the flat a decade ago) has failed so I'm going to replace it....but when isolating it have found it's supplied from the House Ring circuit breaker (B32) rather than the Lighting (B6) one, both on the same RCD. Had planned only on replacing the shaver light+socket with the current version of the same thing but am not keen to now until I know if being installed on the Ring is safe for these things. Can anyone tell me if this is/was a common thing to do? Or is it dodgy and should be changed asap?

Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could it be fed from a fused spur from the ring final circuit ?
Doesn't have to be though.

I don't know about the fused spur - the cabling disappears into a tiled wall so it's gone from view at that point.
I got alerted to the Lighting or Ring circuit when I had a look at the replacement unit's fitting instructions - wanted to check there was nothing I didn't understand before starting - and they say "securely mounted and safely connected to the mains supply (lighting circuit).". And of course this'd be to the Ring circuit. From what EFLImpudence said it seems that'd be OK.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back