Replacing shower - how to remove self seal push fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope you can help.

My Newteam NT1500XT power shower died last week, so I've bought a like for like version which is a Bristan branded 1500XT.
It looks simple enough to fit though I cannot get the old inlet elbow self seal push fittings apart, and I can't get the old unit off the wall until I've got the old inlet elbow push fittings off the copper pipework.

Any ideas of how to get these fittings apart?
Thanks.

pushfitting.jpg
inletelbow.jpg

pushfitting2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pull the loose collet ring towards the elbow fitting while pulling on the pipe.
If its been in a while, it may be a tad seized, but be bold. It goes without saying that you must isolate water and electrics first.

Sponsored Links
syqt81.jpg

This is where 45yearsgasman means

It's not possible to remove that way, cos of pipes going through unit at back. There is another collet behind that elbows, it will be difficult to undo it cos of lack of room to put finger on that. Other way is to dismantle unit to make it easier.

Dan.

Or push the rings on the other side of the elbows that are connected to the feeds.

Exactly the same layout as showin in the picture with the arrow, but on the inlet side of the elbow.

I can't get the old unit off the wall until I've got the old inlet elbow push fittings off the copper pipework.

Does the OP not mean disconnecting at the back where the copper comes in and taking the whole thing off the wall? That's what I take from it.

Does the OP not mean disconnecting at the back where the copper comes in and taking the whole thing off the wall? That's what I take from it.
Yes, that's what I meant.

As stardanny pointed out the collets on the elbow joints shown below are the ones that I need to remove. The rear casing of the shower unit only has two holes in the back where the copper pipes connect to the elbow joints and there's only about a 5mm gap between the backplate and the joint.
Unless I can find a way to get the elbow joints off, then I'll have to dismantle the entire unit and hacksaw the rear casing apart.
View media item 47608

If you are really struggling and the shower is going in the bin, hacksaw straight through the 90 degree bend on the elbow, seperating the elbow completely in half. Then you stand a better chance at removing the pushfit connectors

If you are really struggling and the shower is going in the bin, hacksaw straight through the 90 degree bend on the elbow, seperating the elbow completely in half. Then you stand a better chance at removing the pushfit connectors

Even if I hacksaw through the elbow joints I still can't get the shower off the wall. The holes in the back of the case are about 5mm smaller than the plastic connector that joins the copper pipe. I think the only way I'm gonna get the thing off the wall is to hacksaw the joints as you suggested then hacksaw the casing apart until I can get it free of the elbow joints, then after the casing is free, get the old elbow joints off the pipes.

Yep, the only way is to dismantle it ( flow valve, wiring, pump ete ) then cut elbow and break apart casing then pull out what left of elbow, taking care not to damage copper pipes end.

Dan.

5mm is plenty of room. Unscrew shower from wall first, you might find there is a bit of play in the pipework. Put a screwdriver or similar behind the fitting to hold the collet in and the pipes will come off. Easy peasy :)

Thanks all round for the kind help guys.
Once I got the flow valve dismantled it gave me a bit more room and with some fiddling I managed to get the elbow joints out, and the new shower is now up and running.
Thanks again, it really is much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back