Replacing single gang light switch with timer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a surface mounted single gang switch which switches 5 sofit mounted downlighters at the front of the house.The switch is in the porch.I'd like to replace the switch with a timer.
Can anybody please suggest a timer switch which is easy to wire.Is it a simple wiring job?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a neutral at the switch?

What sort of time delay are you looking for?

There is a blue neutral passing through the box but not connected.Both terminals have brown live connected.Just need to time to come on at 17.00 and off at 23.00

Sponsored Links
What do you want it to look like? I have a light switch in my bedroom which can be set to go on/off at set times, also on/off with three remote controls, plus on/off with Smart Phone or PC and can even be linked to weather if I want, it does not need a neutral and has a single button on the switch on/off and a little LED indicator so looks like a normal light switch.

However down side is it also need a hub to set times which in my case already had for central heating, I have Energenie but the is Hive, Lightwave, and a host of others which do basic same thing, and they look like a light switch, as you move to timers some still look reasonable like a light switch often made to control immersion heaters. this
ae235
would look rotten but do the job, this
ae235
looks like a light switch, both will do the same job, but the latter would cost £17 + £48 for the hub, where the first one costs £9.90 so what are you looking for, I will guess some where between the two? With a simple lid
16578.jpg
It would look better, £19.64 but it's your house you need to look at it, so what do you want? Do you want to be able to turn on the light from your phone? is the switch seen at all, or is it covered with coats?

Point is they will all do the job.

Thanks,impressive!
Switch is tucked away in the corner of a porch so appearance is unimportant. Simple mechanical or the Greenbrook would do.
Any advice please on how to wire.
Existing switch has brown connected to both terminals and a blue (joined with crimp connector)in the box ,not connected. Plus earth.
I'm happy to fit if I know what goes where!
Switch is in a surface mounted box

The instructions will tell you which wires will need to go to which terminal. Nobody here can do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back