Replacing single glazed pane wth double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have single glazed UPVC windows in my home. There is a gap around the front of the fitted glass panes of at least 10mm, perhaps more. On most of the windows, this is covered by some sort of blanking plate, but some are missing so I can see the gap. I was wondering if it's possible to have just double glazed panes installed in place of the single panes, thus filling in this gap? I will be able to post a picture at some point tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
I should think that, as you have UPVC frames, these were made, originally, to take DG units. I might be wrong but, I think it would be unusual for a manufacturer of UPVC frames to make them to accept only single glazing and, the "blanking plates" which are fitted, bear this out. It is quite straightforward to purchase ready made DG units and, provided they are fitted with the correct mounting blocks, suitable clearance within the rebate of the frame and, drainage holes etc, it is a job well within the scope of a competent DIYer. Do a Google and you will find lots of information on the fitting procedure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back