Diy double glaze single pane Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so we have these original sash single pain glazed windows. They feel cold and let in a lot of noise so I've been thinking (usually dangerous). What if i add another single pane behind the original pane wouldn't that be like a cheap man's double glazed window?

At the moment there is 22mm of timber from the original pane before it drops off to a decorative finish so I'm thinking...
One 5x5mm strip behind the original pane(a spacer) then a new 4mm pane then a 10x10mm strip to keep it in place.

Anyone else done this or have any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Save your money or put it towards secondary glazing if your set on keeping your original sliding sashes

you will just get loads of condensation between the panes

Sponsored Links
not to mention you wouldn' get the results you are after

Anyone else done this or have any thoughts on this?
Yes I have done it and it works.

I don't know about the other posters.

You need a pinhole to ventilate the gap to the outside (not to the inside of the house, where the air will be relatively warm and moist) angled downwards to prevent rainwater finding an entry. If you haven't got a tiny drill, pack the hole with a scrap of loft fibreglass to filter out dust and insects. Seal the internal glazing bead as well as you can manage. This prevents condensation inside the gap.

I used a 20mm strip to separate the panes.

If you have vertical sliding sashes the extra weight will throw out the balance.

You can also use plastic film which has negligible weight and will give an improvement in heat loss and condensation, but is a temporary fix and easily damaged.

That's great info thanks. You said it works can you give me some info on the improvements? I know it's hard to quantify but I'm interested in how effective it can be before I embark.

As others have said may be better to save up for new ones. But new are around a grand each and diy method around 40 quid.

I've done it on a bathroom window, and on sidelights beside a front door. Both were fixed panes which made it easy.

The bathroom window stopped getting covered in condensation in winter. Both of them stopped the cold draught that flows off a single glazed window, and cut noise penetration.

I have also used the plastic film method, which is cheap. When the film gets dirty or dusty you can't successfully clean it, but it is invisible behind net curtains. I used the film on large windows which were a source of cold. The improvement was very noticeable. It has no effect on noise.

Interesting to hear of john's efforts . I've tried it once on a workshop window and was worried about condensation so put some unslaked lime in between the glass . That was over thirty years ago and that window is still clear but perhaps not the prettiest thing in the world. I'd personally say follow john's advice and have a go , you haven't really got much to lose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back