Replacing SMC Pump Gasket - Can I Make a Gasket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to take apart an old SMC Comet 2-120F Pump (see Picture), as this pump is no longer available I'm worried that once I disconnect it or take it apart, the gaskets will be ruined. As its old, I'm guessing I cannot go buy identical replacements????
Is it possible to make gaskets, what material, or will that tube of squeezey stuff be ok?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

This picture shows the hex bolts Im going to try and undo

[/img]

Sponsored Links
nOt doing any harm or damage so just leave it well alone

Head gasket material from motor stores could work. It may be an O ring seal, in which case simply obtain a new one. Good luck with that. Looks like an old Potterton boiler. If you are serious about keeping that boiler then I would drain and replace the valves and fit a new pump. As said, if the open vent is 22mm then simply remove and plug the safety valve.
112's advice is probably the way to go, but I simply answered your question.

Sponsored Links
If still working then my strong advice would be to leave it well alone!

If not working then it would be possible but fiddly to fit new pipework and valves and a new pump.

No pumps now use that flange connection !

Tony

Really appreciate advice.

The pump is not working properly, so as a temporary fix I picked up an identical pump (but not a flange type) so wondered if I could undo those 4 hex bolts and swap over the pump part.
I'm having a new system installed this Spring, so wanted temp fix to see me through January to April.
One of you were correct, this is an old Potterton open vent system installed in the 70s.

Will my idea work of swapping???

Cheers

When I was an apprentice (some 45 years ago) we used to buy a sheet of gasket material place it ove the flange and gently work with a hammer to cut it to shape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back