Replacing socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m replacing an unswitched socket for a flat plate switched which I will also replace the back box to a 35mm for. I haven’t fully taken off the old one yet just unscrewed it so I can take a look at the wiring. Not the greatest pic I know but does this wiring look ok, seems to be two red & two black coming from those two separate white sleeves & one earth connected with the other seeming to have been cut. Also would it be ok to put these wires into a terminal block & turning electric back on if needed, if so which rating block to use?
IMG_6690.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Not a great pic, the cpc's may be in the same sleeving, just make sure a metal back box is earthed. Use wago 222's if you're going for continuity, they're rated to 32A.

Blup

Not a great pic, the cpc's may be in the same sleeving, just make sure a metal back box is earthed. Use wago 222's if you're going for continuity, they're rated to 32A.

Blup
The only earth wire is screwed into the socket the other as you can see in the top left seems to have been cut. The earth screw on the back box doesn’t have any earth wire screwed into it.

Sponsored Links
Can you take another photo, but this time see if you can get a bit closer.
It was quite tight I could only pull the socket out that much to get a look hence the poor pic. I also didn’t want to unscrew it all without having the right terminals to put on if I needed to switch electric back on.

The only earth wire is screwed into the socket the other as you can see in the top left seems to have been cut. The earth screw on the back box doesn’t have any earth wire screwed into it.
The machine screws that fix the socket plate to the back box should provide a path to earth for both, relatively essy to test for continuity. Or you can fit a fly lead.

Blup

Blup
Instead of wagos can I use these?

Instead of wagos can I use these?
Either will do, or both, whatever works for the orientation of the conductors in the space available.

Blup

Either will do, or both, whatever works for the orientation of the conductors in the space available.

Blup
So I’ve taken off the socket & removed the back box & need to put the electric back on. I’ve bought the connector strip as you can see, basically which wires am I putting where & how many connectors should I use?
IMG_6730.jpegIMG_6729.jpeg

2 reds together in one terminal.
2 blacks together in another terminal.
2 earth conductors together in a third terminal.

2 reds together in one terminal.
2 blacks together in another terminal.
2 earth conductors together in a third terminal.
Ok just to be sure when you say together is that both wires into one side or one each side? Also for ‘one terminal’ do I just break them off so I have just a single one with two screws? One earth was only connected to the socket the other was just left in there so should I leave that one out or do I have to put that into the block to?

Ok just to be sure when you say together is that both wires into one side or one each side?
It doesn't matter, it depends on the position of the wires.
There is one piece of metal with two screws in each connector.

Make the bare copper of each wire long enough to be gripped by both screws like this:
1698854847896.png

Also for ‘one terminal’ do I just break them off so I have just a single one with two screws?
That doesn't matter either, although it will probably be easier to fit if you cut off each one.
Cut them neatly so as not to leave any sharp pointly bits to stick in your finger when tightening the screws.

One earth was only connected to the socket the other was just left in there so should I leave that one out or do I have to put that into the block to?
Put them both in a block.

Rather than use 30A blocks which are quite big for just two wires, I would use the a smaller one.
The rating isn't that important if the wires are touching each other.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, it depends on the position of the wires.
There is one piece of metal with two screws in each terminal.

make the bare copper of each wire long enough to be gripped by both screws like this:
View attachment 319297

That doesn't matter either, although it will probably be easier to fit if you cut off each one.
Cut them neatly so as not to leave any sharp pointly bits to stick in your finger when tightening the screws.

Put them both in a block.

Rather than use 30A blocks which are quite big for just two wires, I would use the a smaller one.
The rating isn't that important if the wires are touching each other.
Ok thanks I know you’ve already addressed this so it would be ok if I just had the wires as they are now with the short ends for them just to be together on one side in with the one screw without going the whole way to the other screw?

Ok thanks I know you’ve already addressed this so it would be ok if I just had the wires as they are now with the short ends for them just to be together on one side in with the one screw without going the whole way to the other screw?
Well, it would be alright but not as good and there is no reason not to.

Apart from that the wires look like they are stripped long enough anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back