Replacing Stair Parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace my current white glossed stair parts (newels, spindles and hand rails) for solid oak to match recently changed interior doors. Could anyone give me any advice on how to go about this particularly on how to replace the full newel posts.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did everything but the newel posts this week. From what I read, if you can cut/remove the decorative part and fix the new one on, that's much easier!

It would be easier to do as you say but the existing newel post is white gloss and I want to change to solid oak

It would be easier to do as you say but the existing newel post is white gloss and I want to change to solid oak
Check that website I posted. You'll be better getting the talk from some of the lads on here, but the diagrams on the website are pretty top notch mate.

Sponsored Links
I have done it.
Richard Burbidge had a VHS that is now on youtube showing what to do. It is chopped into sections so watch all of it
I drilled and chiselled out my newels, and in the hall, retained the stringer, then gut the new newel to slot over it and fixed in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back