Replacing switches to metal. Earth issue

Sponsored Links
Good shout Sunray . Further clarification required ,and if indeed there is a blue wire in that connector block with the earth conductors thats a problem.

This needs to be investigated before making any changes.
Do to have any test kit?
Are 2 earth wires in the sleeve or one?
Does the fan run on (continue running for a while after the light is switched off?
What is the other wire in the pic?View attachment 310792
Can you see the wiring in the fan?
Can you see the wiring at the light?
Do to have any test kit?
Unfortunately not!

Are 2 earth wires in the sleeve or one?
I think just one?

Does the fan run on (continue running for a while after the light is switched off?
Yeah it's on a timer. Runs for about 15 mins after it's off.

What is the other wire in the pic?
That's just a loose cable that's not connected to anything. It was originally for a wall light that doesn't exist any more I believe.

Can you see the wiring in the fan?
If I take off the fan cover I probably could

Can you see the wiring at the light?
Again, I'd have to take it off the ceiling to check.

Sponsored Links
Good shout Sunray . Further clarification required ,and if indeed there is a blue wire in that connector block with the earth conductors thats a problem.
I think the blue wire with the brown sleeve does go into the little connector...

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
(This is why I am against the advice that is sometimes given here about tying unused cores to earth terminals - it causing confusion and sometimes a potentially dangerous situation.)

That blue wire needs urgent investigation before anything else is done.

(This is why I am against the advice that is sometimes given here about tying unused cores to earth terminals - it causing confusion and sometimes a potentially dangerous situation.)

That blue wire needs urgent investigation before anything else is done.
So I think it might be connected to the fan isolator switch? I honestly don't know exactly.

I won't do anything until it's all investigated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back