Replacing Synchronous motor in gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks. Need help ASAP please. I have a 3 port Honeywell gas valve and the valve had been playing up so everyone said to replace the motor. I did this and it seems the valve is not opening and the boiler is not firing up now. the lever on the valve is loose and I cannot open it manually by hooking it towards the end with the new motor in place. Only when I take the motor off does the lever move with the spring and the lever can be hooked. All the utube videos I watched said placing the motor in was a doddle and never mentioned anything about where the lever on the valve needs to be when I put the motor in. I have tried to hook the lever and then place the motor but the lever just seems to unhook itself and then when I tried to manually open I feel no resistance - just a loose lever. What am I doing wrong?!?

Sponsored Links
Hi first of all I think you are talking about a 3 port motorised valve, is not a gas valve.
Sounds like the lever is not making contact with the micro switch, if the lever is moving with no resistance it seems that the motor has opened.
With the power removed the motor would have resistance, there isn't any special position for the lever to be as long as it lines up with the spindle, the head will go back onto body of the valve.
You will probably need to replace the complete head, unless you can move the internal lever to make contact with the micro switch.

I think things must have gone a springing and a sproinging!

And its NOT a gas valve :)

So I have managed to at least get the thing working....for now. Placed the motor in loosely and the lever hooked into manual position then I screwed the motor in. so at least my boiler can now fire up for now. God knows what’s going to happen when I turn it off and try to restart it?!? ‍♂️

Sponsored Links
You have to get the pip on the end of flats on the valve body spindle lined up with the corresponding hole in the actuator head..it requires a certain amount of wiggling.
Don't tighten down the 2 retaining screws too tight...just enough to hold the actuator head on ie. it can still move a little relative to the brass valve body.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Also, if the head is not on the valve properly, the motor will turn without operating the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back