Replacing tap ceramic cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
Dripping Franke mixer tap ( cold side)
Can't get the old cartridge out with a box spanner. Just gets some leverage , but then just slips off.
Tried an adjustable wrench with another wrench trying to turn it , but can't get a good enough grip ( not really enough room between cartridge and the inside of the bit if the tap that the tap handle fits into.
Sprayed with WD40 and tried elastic band.
Bought a 1/4 socket set, but the sockets aren't deep enough to fit over the cartridge.
Any ideas ? Don't really want to spend £30 on a deep socket set. Already spent £26.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried pouring boiling water on it?
You could always purchase an individual deep socket if you know the size? Eg https://www.trade-point.co.uk/depar...3GFf_nKZTgeZa5QEMS4aAjUyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
A photo could help if we could see it, might be able to offer a decent solution?
Ah, we had to turn off water at stopcock ( no isolator valve even though it's a new kitchen ) so couldn't wait and tine was running out for buying any more tools today.
Anyway, put the handle back on , gingerly turned water on and the damn tap is no longer dripping Attention seeking I reckon.
Its the Franke Ascona tap .

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just to be pedantic on a Monday morning ... ;)
th
Lever Cartridge
th
1/4 turn ceramic valve

you'll have a 1/4 turn ceramic valve and it should go relatively easily with a decent adjustable spanner, you may just need to get some support on the tap if the sink is flexing

Sponsored Links
th
Lever Cartridge
th
1/4 turn ceramic valve

you'll have a 1/4 turn ceramic valve and it should go relatively easily with a decent adjustable spanner, you may just need to get some support on the tap if the sink is flexing

Years ago when changing the lever valve on my hansgrohe monobloc kitchen tap, I saw the "teeth" at the top of the valve. I assumed that I needed to use water pump pliers to remove it. I snapped the plastic locating lugs in the base and had to fudge new ones to prevent the new valve from twisting when the handle is twisted in use.

Yep, looks like a spanner or standard correct sized socket should do it
Its the Franke Ascona tap .
https://onepim-content.franke.com/d...ile=Ascona_Instruction_Sheet-FLEXI_Hi-Res.pdf

Might not need doing now though, OP stated it’s no longer dripping :cool:

Last edited:
th
Lever Cartridge
th
1/4 turn ceramic valve

Pedantilate freely, it helps me learn.It's a 1/4 turn ceramic valve. IMG_20220131_101423_497.jpg

1643643941797713006758470635811.jpg
Yep, looks like a spanner or standard correct sized socket should do it

https://onepim-content.franke.com/d...ile=Ascona_Instruction_Sheet-FLEXI_Hi-Res.pdf

Might not need doing now though, OP stated it’s no longer dripping :cool:
They're just the fitting instructions.
Sink isn't stainless steel so not flexing.
Instructions to replace cartridge recommend a box spanner, which hasn't worked.
It needs a deep socket.
Spanner no good as it's inset into the side of the tap.
Video on YouTube shows plumber using an adjustable on the valve and another to turn the adjustable , but the adjustable we have is a bit too big to get into the tap to get a good grip on the valve.
I'm sure it'll start dripping again. Interestingly it's now without a little brass horseshoe washer ? 16436438152041956892214077956632.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ahh, I see your predicament :oops::LOL: need a deep socket then :whistle: Did you try the boiling hot water?

You should be able to get the jaws of medium sized adjustable spanner onto that at a slight angle unless you've already rounded off the brass. Then give it a sharp tap with a pin hammer or similar light hammer and it should go.

The wee horseshoe or C clip is to hold the threaded shaft of the valve into the valve body.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back