Replacing the siphon on a close coupled toilet - sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm replacing a siphon with a split diaphragm and have everything in bits, but not sure what I'm ordering to replace it. The existing siphon has a 2" outlet - I have decided to replace it with a Fluidmaster push button which appears to be 1.5" with an adaptor (I think just a rubber thing that allows you to use it in a 2" hole). My issue is that I want to replace the sealing doughnut and hardware under the cistern. I guess I need one for 1.5" outlets, but will the doughnut seal be too small for the hole in the base of the toilet, which is 2.5" plus... The toilet is a Fired Earth "Burlington" if it makes any difference...

The close couple kit I was looking at is this:

https://www.toolstation.com/close-coupling-kit/p85615 - the technical data sheet says the outside diameter of the rubber doughnut is 80mm...

Sponsored Links
You might be better searching for a 2” syphon, which returns some, Viva being one which has a cradle suitable for 1.5” and one for 2”. You’ll also need a 2” donut washer and kit. Do a search for 2” close coupling kit.

Does it make much difference as long as it fits? I mean, does the 2" flow more? The reason I picked the one I did was it got good reviews, push button conversion, and 2" ones seemed rather thin on the ground. Also I didn't know mine was 2" until I got the cistern off the wall just now (kindly siliconed on by the previous person to work on it!)

Sponsored Links
2” will obviously allow slightly more water through, but apart from that don’t think there’s any difference. If it doesn’t leak when you’re finished, then you’re good to go (excuse the pun).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back