Are most domestic toilet siphons 1.5" or 2" connections? Or is there wide variance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never done any toilet DIY before, but I need to replace a siphon in a close-coupled cistern. Googling around, none of the usual DIY suppliers seem to indicate whether their siphons are for 1.5" or 2" connections, but most of the close-coupling kits with sealing rings seem to be for 1.5".

Is there a rule of thumb here, or do I just have to get the old siphon out and measure the connection size?

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic from inside the cistern. Some valves come with a conversion washer to enable the valve to be fitted to a cistern of either hole size.

Photo below. Not sure how helpful it is, if at all.

Attachments

• siphon.jpg
    siphon.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
Looks like it may be a Thomas Dudley, shame it isn`t a two piece.

To be honest, I've never come across a 2" siphon, they've all been 1.5", only when the new style flush valves came about did I discover there were 2 sizes!

I'd safely say that's 1.5", but check the height, as siphons do come in different heights. If replacing the lot, do yourself a favour and fit the Dudley Turbo siphon, so much easier to sort out next time it needs a new washer.

OK, turns out the hole in the cistern is 2" but the siphon outlet is 1.5" ID.

Looks like the flange and washer on the siphon itself take care of filling the gap? I won't need to buy any other kind of adapter?

Attachments

• siphon outlet.jpg
    siphon outlet.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Thankyou!

Final dumb question - the rubber doughnut in a close-coupling seal kit sandwiches between the metal plate and the toilet bowl, not between the plate and the cistern?

Ignore - found a YT video that covered everything I needed to know.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back