Replacing thermostat with Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just got a new hive dual setup. The receiver seems to be just a straight swap as wiring is exactly the same. Only query is how do I blank off existing dial thermostat in hallway, as new thermostat is wireless?

Sponsored Links
If three wires on original i.e. if there is a neutral then L, N, and 4 is all you need yes can simply replace old thermostat, however any programmer (time switch) fitted will still be active, so normally it replaces the time switch not thermostat. However today often time switch and thermostat are same unit anyway.

Sponsored Links
Here is the wiring centre, and the thermostat. Could I disconnect wires 2 & 3 (black and brown from stat) and blank off to stop heating calling for old stat? Wire 3 is then linked to number 9 (heating on) should I disconnect this red link?
4FB221E7-9764-4887-834F-8904A8549325.jpeg
836E7760-BD29-4391-B360-E364B785BB75.jpeg
8C1CC4F8-BB8C-46DF-AF08-D9D1C6A7B83D.jpeg

The brown and black thermostat wires need to be connected together permanently.
If those are 2 and 3 in that wiring centre then remove the black and brown wires and put a link between 2&3 instead.
The grey neutral to the thermostat should be disconnected at the wiring centre as well.

Bear in mind that the diagram in the lid COULD be how it's wired - or it could be slightly different, or totally different. All depends on how it was done originally and if any changes have been made since then.

Okay so disconnect brown and black at the stat and join together. Disconnect brown and black at wiring centre and join together. Put a link at wiring centre between 2 & 3. Disconnect grey neutral at stat and terminate. Disconnect grey neutral at wiring centre and terminate (looks like number 9)?

One or the other. Not both.

Either
a. join the wires at the thermostat
OR
b. remove thermostat wires at wiring centre and put a link in.

b is preferable as the old thermostat cable can be completely removed.

Okay thanks. I think Ill join the wires at the thermostat as would be easily accesible in the future if need be. Is this a viable option? Ill keep a photo of wiring just incase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back