replacing thermostatic valves heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,
See attached photo of a valve on the radiators in my house.
The valves have done well as they are 18 years old. I have one radiator making an awful banging noise so this head/valve needs changed asap.
I was wondering if I can just replace the heads instead of the entire valve in the short term. Ive pulled the top off the head off the plastic controller but can see how it sits on the mechanical part of the valve itself.
The idea being here if I can take the plastic controlling part off the valve i could post it on here and you would have a better idea what i would need. I could also take it directly to a shop and they would know what replacement i would need. I am aware I will have to buy the entire valve but was just going to change the head of the valve for now to try it.
Help appreciated.

Kind regards

Neil Coltman

Attachments

• 56340441627__A5748F4D-2621-49AC-A9EF-F435CE3FFD22.JPG
    56340441627__A5748F4D-2621-49AC-A9EF-F435CE3FFD22.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 164
Sponsored Links
The valves have done well as they are 18 years old.
Has there been any other alterations to your central heating system in that many years ?

Really just change it (or get in a heating technician) Fit a nice modern bi directional quality valve & sensor, That giacomini valve may have the older o ring & grip ring instead of an olive in the inlet if so it needs removing without damaging the copper pipe.

happy plumbing (y)

The banging will be the valve internals rattling, so you need to replace the entire valve

Sponsored Links
I ll change all the valves that are old next time I do any major work on the system. Thanks.
Ive asked the company that supplied the original valve as they still exist , if they can supply the head.

it wont matter if you can get replacement heads, you will find that the installers swapped over the flow and return pipes orientation when they fitted the new boiler, this is why they are now rattling, you need bi directional valves

That's a good point you make there Ian.
If they do, then should you expect them to do the same for the existing hot water cylinder?

That's a good point you make there Ian.
If they do, then should you expect them to do the same for the existing hot water cylinder?
wont really make a noise nuisance on the HW Cylinder just an efficiency thing, can make a difference with zone valves too as some make a clunking sound when closing when the flow and returns are reversed,much more common than you would think,too many installers these days dont care about flow and return orientation when installing boilers,more so with the ECO boiler schemes where they have to do at least one boiler change per day, not flushed properly, just flung at the wall, radiators hot off we go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back