Radiator Thermostatic control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On one of my radiators, the plastic head on the thermostatic control valve has broken. Is it possible for me to replace just the plastic the head without draining the system and replacing the whole unit. I know I will have to purchase the whole unit but can see a ring beneath the broken plastic head which presumably I could undo to replace the head. I just don't want to undo this and have a flood. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes you can replace it and in most cases you can get the head on its own. What brand of TRV is it?

Hi JayPage, thanks for your prompt reply. It is a Drayton, oldish, is there anything I need to know about settings (?) when putting the new one on? I am a complete novice. Many thanks, Dee

there will be a circle chrome coloured nut on the top of the valve that will still be attatched, this will spin off taking whats left of the TRV off of the valve. A new Drayton TRV4 head will fit on top of the existing valve but best to take the remenants of the old valve when buying the replacement head just to be sure. The settings on the TRV indicate the required temp in the room, 3 is an average which usually equates to around 21 degrees c. Drayton isn't a cheap make and for a replacement head your looking at around 18-22 quid. Hope this helps :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the information, I am sure now I can go ahead and do the necessary. Many thanks for your prompt answers. Dee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back