Replacing thick stone wall with modern alternative

14 Sep 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
My stone-built cottage has got typically very thick walls. A two-storey extension was added to the rear many (80 maybe) years ago, so the original rear wall is of-course an internal wall.
Although it is 'structural', it's not really doing 'a lot', as the weight of the roof is spread to the external walls, and the ridge of the extension, which is perpendicular to the main roof, is on the purlin.

I've considered for some time that this very thick wall unnecessarily takes up a huge amount of space, so am considering taking it down and rebuilding with modern materials, which would enable space to be added to the kitchen.

I'm no doubt going to need the services of a structural engineer for this. I'm thinking that the drawings could be basic, and something I could probably do myself.

Could this be built in 100mm Thermalite block? I'm guessing so. It would obviously need to be tied to the remaining stonework? Would there need to be thermal isolation between the two?
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking that the drawings could be basic, and something
Drawings are the depiction of the design and are not "just drawings". So if you need to ask about how to do this, then you are unlikely to be able to produce meaningful drawings.

But yes in principle, if this wall is doing nothing but separating rooms, it could be replaced. But tying into adjacent walls will depend on specific circumstances.
If the wall are 'very thick', they could be stone-faced with a rubble core.
If you remove the ground floor wall, how will you support the wall upstairs? Your new wall might still be relatively thick if you have to put a single skin under each skin of masonry upstairs.
Have you considered putting a couple of wide-flange beams in to support the upstairs wall, and then just building a non-loadbearing stud wall in the kitchen?
Don't think it is possible to say from the description , more information would be required to be able to give useful advice but if you are employing a structural engineer anyway they will survey the existing structure and advise on what is structurally possible. Building Regulations approval will be required ,of course, for the structural alterations to your cottage.
Sponsored Links
If you remove the ground floor wall, how will you support the wall upstairs?

I should've explained, I've already removed most of the wall upstairs. All in fact to one side of the bedroom wall (not a big area), in order to create sufficient space for an en-suite. The question is, how far should I take it (?)

The opposite side of the bedroom door (again a small area) and the ground floor collectively take up a huge waste of space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local