Replacing this 'stat & programmer (pic)....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll get to the point. The wife (obviously) wants to replace our thermostat (in Dining Room) and Programmer (in boiler cupboard).

Reasons - purely for improved aesthetics.

Pic of the Thermostat here;

044_zps354e7c96.jpg

Its a three wire job (one blue, one yellow, one red).

Pic of the Programmer (Potterton EP2001) here with lead annotations;

046annotated_zps4e91e0b4.jpg

All she really wants is a funky modern blue-glow type thermostat like these cheapo ones on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-LCD-...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3a879e7218(yes, i'm afraid, a blue backlight that glows all day and looks cool :cool: is important, even if it wastes some power!)

I believe we have two options:

- Option 1: Replace the thermostat on the dining room wall only with a cheapy modern one like the one linked above

- Replace the thermostat & programmer with something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170947004042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649.

I have a question for each option;

- Option 1: Why do some of these require batteries as well as a wired connection? Are these totally crap?

- Option 2: I believe, that that set would replace both programmer & thermostat. So we'd mount the receiver in the cupboard next to the boiler, hardwired to it, and hen mount the programmer (which incorporates the room thermostat function?) somewhere appropriate like in the landing? Presumably these remote RF modules need regular battery replacement. Are these crap, or difficult in anyway?

Is there any reason why my boiler would be incompatible with either / any other thermostat & programmer out there? I've got an old chaffertaux, which I'm hoping will solider on another year or two having just replaced a burst pump-heat exchanger pipe & sensor.

VERY graefull for anyones advice :)

Cheers!!

Tom

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The programmer you have will need to be completely reworded as that programmer has all the wore centre in it so the starting point would be to remove the old programmer and fit a wire centre. Next thing is options you need a 2 channel programmer ( hot water and heating) and a thermostat you can do his in a few different ways. Twin channel next to whirring centre room stat in same location. Or single channel next to wire centre and a rf programable room stat/programmer where ever you want it. I would forget the cheap controllers of eBay. Rf packs we use Honeywell or hard wired we use Honeywell or danfoss. A bit of electrical knowledge will be needed to wire the centre or get a plumber or gas engineer in to do it for you.

You say to replace just the thermostat with one 'like' the one in the link.
Just checking you mean 'like' and not 'the same' as the one you have linked to is for underfloor heating.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Your worried about stuff bieng crap, yet you want to buy cheap rubbish of ebay :rolleyes: spend a bit more money and invest in decent controls that will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back