Replacing boiler programmer - replace programmer & thermostat or go for mini HIVE standalone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a noisy old analogue boiler dual-channel programmer that I want to replace and I want to be sure I buy one that's compatible and to get advice on whether I need to change the wiring positions (it'd be preferable not to need to). I also have an old inaccurate analogue room thermostat.
The boiler is a mid-position valve system with gravity storage tank (not sure what make and model) with Drayton MA1 actuator and Grundfos Alpha2 15-60 130 pump. The attached pic 1 shows the wiring diagram and pic2 shows the actual wiring at the programmer back plate.
I've seen some cheapish programmers around the £50-60 mark, with a replacement thermostat around the same price, ie all in ~£100, while a mini HIVE standalone (hubless) programmer with thermostat costs ~£60. This should do the same thing right and has the option to upgrade with a hub later? The wiring diagram for the HIVE dual channel has a connection at 2 (Central Heating Off) which isn't present in my current set up. Will this be an issue, as I don't seem to have that wire?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Pic1 Controller.jpg
    Pic1 Controller.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Pic2 backplate.jpg
    Pic2 backplate.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 51
  • HIVE wiring.png
    HIVE wiring.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back