replacing treads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the stairs in my dormer bungalow as cheaply as possible

There are many sites for replacing the newel/baluster/handrail, but I need to replace the treads

It is an open plan staircase of the old style - I think now outlawed because of the riser gap, so need to renovate, not replace to keep within the regs

Anyone got any ideas ?

I have scoured http://www.stairplan.com/index.htm and they seem to sell the everything including the baserail but no treads ?

The original stairs was custom built to fit the available space in the hallway and has been chewed to bits by two naughty Bichon Frise dogs

They have gone so its time to repair the damage they caused

Sponsored Links
assuming its a standard stair with wedged in treads

you cant realy replace treads unless [a ]you know what your doing
your realy lucky and every thing comes apart eg you have to unwedge break the glue bond all round the tread may still not come out

the regs say a 100mm spere must not pass through any gap any where on the stairs or connecting structures [

What is the thickness of the tread ?

I'm thinking you don't have a wedge under the tread ? a slotted type into the string casing ?

Sponsored Links
The stringer is not slotted

It is a whole, untouched piece of timber

The treads are on a wooden triangle bracket which is screwed into the top of the stringer and the tread is then screwed into the top of the triangle

A picture paints a thousand words so here are some ( got my son to put them on his website )

stairs1.jpg

stairs2.jpg

stairs3.jpg

I know I can get the newel post/balustrade/hand rail from my local builders merchants

I would like to get the treads ready made but if push comes to shove, I will buy the wood as planks and learn how to use a router !!!!!

swelec said:
I would like to get the treads ready made
You can, have a look in the yellow pages for "Joinery" and take a tread with you and they will make it to whatever shape/size you want. Don't forget to warn others there's a tread missing !! Might be best to remove the bottom tread, slightly less painful :)

Thanks - I'll probably use this route

If I take off a tread the brackets and the scoop shaped back piece, I could get 13 sets made by a joiner. Along with spindles etc from a building merchant, I could make a new stairs

All I need to do is sand the stringers when everything else is off

Don't be concerned about my families safety

Only I go upstairs since the ceilings are down ( looking for my roof leak ) and the floors are up while the plumber puts in the central heating and I rewire the bungalow

Sweclec, what part of the country are you in I have a few contacts in stair manufacturing I might be able to put you i touch with the right chappie.

Swelec, taking a closer look at your treads it is no big problem to replace, if it was me I would source the timber and cut the treads to size and run a nosing bit round , 'Pirana' pine would do the job.

thanks for all the advice

I have decided to put the stair renovation back a bit as it is only one of many jobs I am currently undertaking on my bungalow

when I have completed it, I will post back with the results - don't hold your breath, it could be a while

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back