Replacing UPVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'd like to buy a replacement front door. Can someone tell me how I should measure it?

I.e. - do I measure the exact measurements of the door or do I have to measure the wider measurements which include the frame?

I'm hoping to buy cheaply from ebay or closing down stock.

Sponsored Links
Id try a tape measure :D

Seriously though It takes years of experience to accurately measure doors and windows and learn all the regulations involved. It is so easy to foul plaster reveals, skirting boards, architraves power cables, Uneven floors etc.

You could ask a local double glazing company to come to measure and quote for a supply only door, Maybe slip the guy a tenner and ask him to leave you with accurate sizes in-case you decided to do something yourself.

As above, it's a minefield measuring doors, you have to check out for, cill/no cill threshold type, hinge space? Eg knock on. Clearance above and below, open in/out.

Sponsored Links
...trickle vents fouling plaster, doors opening in not clearing floor material, out of plumb brickwork, etc etc.

Not to mention fitting, i.e. toe and heel packing, jigging and packing the door so the locks actually engage, etc.

Other than all of the above it's a piece of cake. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back