Replacing water pipe under toilet. Drain cock below stop cock. Is it needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a separate water supply pipe which comes in to my downstairs toilet located in the porch. This feeds just the toilet and a small sink with cold water. (Rest of house has its own feed).
There is a stop cock and then a plastic drain cock , but the drain cock has sheared off so needs removing. All fittings are soldered, in situ since house was built in 1983.
There's hardly any space behind the pipe which runs along the skirting board, but I could possibly just get compression fittings on. I was considering simply cutting the pipe either side of the old drain cock and replacing with 100mm long repair coupling, compression fitting.
The drain cock has never been used in 35 years, is it a necessity?
Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
upload_2018-3-17_12-15-19.jpeg

This is the pipework. Definitely need to remove the drain cock (or what's left of it)as water leaks from it.

There is no draincock there, have you taken it out already:unsure: I'm wondering if someone has screwed in a radiator plug - it would have a square hole in it and be plain steel - that's maybe why it's leaking, it's corroded away over the years.

Hi Nige
The drain cock sheared off completely when I tried to tighten it up. It was a white plastic type, part of which is stuck in the fitting.
I'm considering just cutting out the old fitting and replacing that bit of pipe with a simple repair coupling. Any potential problems with this?

Sounds like a good idea. The pipe is tight to the skirting - it might be worth cutting the skirting top/bottom neatly away from the stopcock - chop it out behind the pipe and insert a new piece after you've got at the compression nuts on the repair pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back