replacing window and space with hard cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so say if i wanted to replace a window and its space with hard core like concreate then what would be the best stuff i could use

Sponsored Links
Define "best"? Cheapest? Fastest setting? Prettiest colour? Most sound deadening? Etc

Define "best"? Cheapest? Fastest setting? Prettiest colour? Most sound deadening? Etc
Best; so that it is sound and heat proof
Setting time; not to bothered really
not bothered about color really as a tin of paint will finish it off
Is cement and sand the cheapest option for this?

But bottom line is sound proofing priority first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
But bottom line is sound proofing priority first?
Triple glazing with different sized gaps may help, but otherwise no different to the rest of the wall construction if doing it in concrete: a sandwich of concrete-insulation-concrete. PIR/PUR generally best value insulation if space is limited.

Shutter the hole except for a gap at the top, shovel concrete through it and vibrate the shutter gently with a hammer, or an SDS breaker with a large blunted chisel etc
Make your concrete up slightly wetter, so you can't quite make it mound up when scraped with a shovel. If making an insulation sandwich you'll either need to fill both sides at the same time/gradually or fix the insulation so it's central in the wall, shutter one side, fill and wit til it sets then shutter and fill the other

Triple glazing with different sized gaps may help, but otherwise no different to the rest of the wall construction if doing it in concrete: a sandwich of concrete-insulation-concrete. PIR/PUR generally best value insulation if space is limited.
So are you saying concrete is more insulating then glass per volume?

Shutter the hole except for a gap at the top, shovel concrete through it and vibrate the shutter gently with a hammer, or an SDS breaker with a large blunted chisel etc
From memory I know you have to vibrate it to get the hard cord into the gaps, but no fancy jack hammer this time just use what you said above

Make your concrete up slightly wetter, so you can't quite make it mound up when scraped with a shovel. If making an insulation sandwich you'll either need to fill both sides at the same time/gradually or fix the insulation so it's central in the wall, shutter one side, fill and wit til it sets then shutter and fill the other
But do i need a sandwitch? can i not just fill the whole gap?

Any ideas on ration mixture?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back