Replacing window seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the seals in all my windows. The new seals are a tight fit but with some washing-up liquid they do fit.

The issue I have is in the corners. There are lumps of PVC that I've tried digging out but I'm not able to clear them out properly.

The 3 options seem to be:
1. Leave them as is
2. Cut the seals as close to the corners as possible
3. Cut the seals as close to the corners as possible and then fill in the gaps with some sort of sealant

Attachments

• 20240112_105522.jpg
    20240112_105522.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240112_105505.jpg
    20240112_105505.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Did you have a look to see how the original seal was fitted at the corners when you removed it? If by digging out the PVC you mean cutting away bits of the window frame itself, I wouldn't recommend that, you could weaken the frame/joint.

This previous thread and YT vid might help you. Watch from 6 min 30 sec on the video.

Did you have a look to see how the original seal was fitted at the corners when you removed it? If by digging out the PVC you mean cutting away bits of the window frame itself, I wouldn't recommend that, you could weaken the frame/joint.

This previous thread and YT vid might help you. Watch from 6 min 30 sec on the video.

Yes thanks. The guy talks about it at 5:30. For me, there is small amounts of moulded plastic that I am struggling to get out. Tried for more than an hour and the seal isn't fitting into even one of the corners

Sponsored Links
You should be able to make it fit without doing anything to the existing frame. One option would be to cut some of the seal away at the back where it fits either around or into the corner. Obviously you leave the front of the seal intact. That takes away some of the bulkiness of the seal and it won't stick out as much in the corners.

Personally I still wouldn't recommend starting to remove bits of the UPVC frame because you might cause more issues than you solve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back