Replacing window with uPVC Patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - need your help again please guys.

Plan to replace a window with a set of doors. The "plan" is to use the existing lintel, use an angle grinder to cut through the bricks and fir the frame, doors etc.. I've got sealant, DPC, fixings and a reasonable angle grinder. I've fitted patio doors before, but only as new on a new wall or to replace existing doors.
Is there anything I need to beware of ?

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
Is your existing wall rendered or brickwork?? was wondering what you had in mind for the external reveals where you have grinded your bricks.
Or maybe your frame will be fitted to the front of the opening??
In any case i would use a small kango with a 2inch bolster tip if your bricks are soft enough,the dust will be extreme if grinding!!!

Thanks Sash.

Ordinary brickwork, so no rendering to make good. Hadn't really thought about the brickwork reveals. Sand & cement ? Open to good ideas please !

if the bricks have frogs or holes in them you may have to remove the half bricks and if possible, clean them, turn them around and re lay.
all a bit time consuming when you have a big hole in your house.
make sure you prepare well, start early and do it on a day when the local builders yard is open.

Sponsored Links
have you ordered/got your door set yet?
If not then order it so you can fit it between whole bricks and then tooth in the brickwork with half bricks cut them neat and use good end face into your reveal,otherwise you can render the reveals with sand and cement.
Brickwork would take you a day so have a couple of sheets of ply/osb board to make your opening secure overnight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back