Replacing window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My double glazing seal has gone. It looks like I can swap out the glazed unit, although it seems odd to me the edge you remove/replace is on the outside?

Can anyone confirm it’s just a case of tapping the edges out and replacing?

I’ve done it before on doors and in ground floor windows, just seems odd the case access is on the outside.

Attachments

• 65FDBC5D-FD0E-41AA-AB59-465881865296.jpeg
    65FDBC5D-FD0E-41AA-AB59-465881865296.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
On some older windows they were installed from outside, not a good security measure.

Indeed that is glazed externally ... looks like ' security tape ' ( basically a double sided foam tape ) holding it in , rather than a wedge gasket that could be removed. The security aspect isn't always as bad as foxhole implies, as some externally glazed windows have clips that require a special tool , some have wedge gasket ( you should not be able to remove the bead if the wedge gasket is the right size ) , some have security tape ( which usually needs levering out from inside and the tape replacing) .... unfortunately some don't have anything and removing the beads the glass does indeed fall out , but not as common as you would be lead to believe

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back