Replacing wood in window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had water damage and this strip of wood on the window area needs replacing. Think it's hardboard -245çm. I picked up a piece of mdf from timber yard but they only do them up to 244cm in lengths no wood 245cm. How do I get round this?
20200703_184908.jpg
20200703_191313.jpg

Sponsored Links
Assuming you've fixed the source of the water ingress (MDF really doesn't like water) then get 2 lengths of 1800mm and join them together with 45 deg joints. Probably a better way TBF. Not actually sure I'd want to use MDF though.

Ply would be better, especially if you want a nice smooth painted finish. Get a decent thickness to suit the gap depth. You will need two strips and, as Eddie say, cut the joint edges at 45 degrees, Best way is on a table saw for accuracy), so it forms a type of scarf joint. Any minor gap can be filled with flexible filler and sanded smooth. Paint/seal and edges that won't be visible before fitting.

Ok I'll get two lengths of ply 5 mm thick and get the timber yard to cut it. Another pain is the thickness. It is 33.5cm in middle at one end 33 and 32.5 in middle. Do I put it in place then run a pencil along it and cut with a jigsaw?

Sponsored Links
can't really say without seeing it, I guess you may have to scribe the back edge in. Actually just use the old piece as a template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a paper template by joining a number of sheets of A4 paper together, or if you have some old wallpaper a length of that.
Cut it to length and Sellotape one end up, making sure it overlaps on both sides. Smooth it out along the gap pushing it in at the sides to form a crease along the whole length. Take it down and trim along the creases. This will give you a template to mark against your board and then simply shape the board to the pencil lines.

It's only 1cm short. That's a few mm at each end. Once it's up and centred, no matter your skills, there are likely to be small inaccuracies in fit because the house will be wonky.
Then get some architrave/ half round/ beading and use it to hide the seams

can't really say without seeing it, I guess you may have to scribe the back edge in. Actually just use the old piece as a template.
That's the easiest, isn't it lol Then cut with either circular saw or jigsaw

There was some sort of thick card like masking paper over the edges too which I guess hid the joins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back