Fixing down a new hardwood window sill that's bowed

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced several window sills successfully with hardwood, fixing it to rendering and brick that was left when old quarry tile sills were removed.

This time the window sill is in a newish extension so I'm fixing to a plastered surface.

The hardwood window sill is bowed in the middle. The joiner said that this was 'normal' because it is only 20ml thick. Over a length of 1850mm it bows up by 25ml in the middle. I can get it down flat if I use all my strength.

He told me to use High Grip and that would hold it flat. But even if I glue it and sit on it till the glue's dry, won't the spring in the wood just rip the plaster off?

Any suggestions to straighten the wood out?

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

Min

Sponsored Links
You can make cuts in the wood on the under side to take it's strength out, approx 30mm apart. Just make sure your cuts are not to the front edge and can't be seen when fitted.

Andy

Awesome! Some an easy solution and such a quick reply! Thank you very much.

How deep should I make them?

I would say 5mm - 10mm. Make sure you only cut the under side and only cut the width of the brick work. Any further and it might show.

Andy

• Thanks
Reactions: Min
Sponsored Links
Magic. Thank you so much Andy. Has put a smile on my face :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back