Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to finally deal with some blown plaster around a kitchen window, and ended up removing all of the plaster below one of the windows, which came away easily.
Underneath, the brick seemed slightly damp, which is strange given all the hot weather we've had recently.
At either ends the wood below the sill is spongy and rotten, and the inside of the skirting is the same. The mortar between bricks was also very crumbly/dusty, and I've removed most of the looser sections.

Around 8 years ago my neighbours downstairs had an extension built, which includes a flat roof and parapet wall below my kitchen bay windows.
It seems to be running off correctly, but there may be a problem related to this. The builders identified a crack around my windows at the time, which they repaired, by the looks of it with concrete.

The double glazed windows are probably 25-30 years old, so I inspected them properly, and found a whole load of worrying problems, although no signs of blocked drainage or a failed inner seal.
On the outside I did find failed caulk, cracks in mortar, blown brick faces, what looks like it could be salt deposits, and worst of all, severely bowing walls.
Above these windows is a sloping roof. at some point in the building's history this and the upper main roof were replaced with concrete tiles.
There is also a slight bow on the outside wall along the side of the building, which a surveyor has looked at and said is not ideal but also not in need of a rebuild. I had leaks from under the top floor parapet wall, but that's a separate issue, and the completely redone flat roof up there seems to be ok.

To me this looks pretty bad, and possibly not fixable with re-rendering, but am I over-reacting?

A lot of photos I know, but I tried to document all the problems in a way that's clear to see.

The house is semi-detached, and there is a passageway along one side, which may contribute to subsidence. Also, heavy lorries hitting speed bumps cause massive vibration and shaking which could be damaging the foundations.

Attachments

• blown brick face (2).jpeg
    blown brick face (2).jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 81
  • blown brick face.jpeg
    blown brick face.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 80
  • bowing (1).jpeg
    bowing (1).jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 73
  • bowing (2).jpeg
    bowing (2).jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 75
  • bowing (3).jpeg
    bowing (3).jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 75
  • bowing (4).jpeg
    bowing (4).jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 72
  • bowing (5).jpeg
    bowing (5).jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 75
  • bowing (6).jpeg
    bowing (6).jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 70
  • bowing (7).jpeg
    bowing (7).jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 63
  • blown brick face (1).jpeg
    blown brick face (1).jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
More photos..

Attachments

• bowing (10).jpeg
    bowing (10).jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 40
  • crack repair.jpeg
    crack repair.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 40
  • crack repair (1).jpeg
    crack repair (1).jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 42
  • crack above window.jpeg
    crack above window.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 39
  • center window.jpeg
    center window.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 41
  • bowing.jpeg
    bowing.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 44
  • bowing (12).jpeg
    bowing (12).jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 42
  • bowing (11).jpeg
    bowing (11).jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 51
  • bowing (9).jpeg
    bowing (9).jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 42
  • bowing (8).jpeg
    bowing (8).jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 50
cracked render & failed caulk

Attachments

• cracks (1).jpeg
    cracks (1).jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 34
  • failed render + caulk.jpeg
    failed render + caulk.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 31
  • failed caulk.jpeg
    failed caulk.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 35
  • failed caulk (4).jpeg
    failed caulk (4).jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 32
  • failed caulk (3).jpeg
    failed caulk (3).jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 36
  • failed caulk (1).jpeg
    failed caulk (1).jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 37
  • cracks.jpeg
    cracks.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 35
  • cracking render.jpeg
    cracking render.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 36
  • cracked render.jpeg
    cracked render.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 26
  • failed caulk (2).jpeg
    failed caulk (2).jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 31
The felt seal has a gap, some holes in the brick face, parapet and a shot showing that neighbours also had repointing done. They don't seem to have bowing walls

Attachments

• neighbour also needed repointing.jpeg
    neighbour also needed repointing.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 43
  • poor condition overall.jpeg
    poor condition overall.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 50
  • pointing.jpeg
    pointing.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 43
  • parapet.jpeg
    parapet.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 41
  • parapet below window 3.jpeg
    parapet below window 3.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 39
  • holes in brick.jpeg
    holes in brick.jpeg
    416.9 KB · Views: 42
  • flat roof + parapet.jpeg
    flat roof + parapet.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 37
  • felt seal.jpeg
    felt seal.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 41
  • felt seal (2).jpeg
    felt seal (2).jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 38
  • felt seal (1).jpeg
    felt seal (1).jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
And the interior after removing blown plaster. The beam is rotten at both ends as well as the inside of the skirting

Attachments

• interior crumbling mortar.jpeg
    interior crumbling mortar.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 49
  • interior removed blown plaster.jpeg
    interior removed blown plaster.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 47
  • interior rotted skirting.jpeg
    interior rotted skirting.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 44
  • interior rotted timber (1).jpeg
    interior rotted timber (1).jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 46
  • interior rotted timber.jpeg
    interior rotted timber.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 47
I think I can see the square cracking in the rot that signifies dry rot (pic 4,5 post #5). I would lay a guess that when the original sash windows were replaced with uPVC the arrangement of the upvc windows over the original stone cills wasn't that great allowing water to run into the brickwork via the lower window corners. causing the timbers to rot.

It looks like you have stepped stone cills. The original sash cill would have projected over these with a drip bead underneath. It appears that the face of the uPVC window is behind the step in the cill (pic 5 post #4) perhaps allowing water to run backwards over the stone cill in to the wall.

FWIW I don't think the flat roof is the issue. With regard to bowing, you variously have heavier concrete roof tiles, uPVC windows that are not as structural as timber (not that sash windows should be structural) and rotting timbers that may all influence - whether this is serious enough to warrant major repair I would rely on your surveyor. Either way - some fairly intrusive rectification work appears to be needed.

Wow, that's a few issues.

I'd agree on the dry rot.

I'm wondering if a contributing factor to the state of the brickwork is poor detailing at the roofline, when it rains does water overshoot the tiles and run down the face of the brickwork? any cracks in the mortar will allow the water seep in and bugger up the bricks over time. (Had this at my old house).

I'd have to check how the water runoff looks when it rains, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially on the 3rd (right) window. That entire side of the bay looks really terrible overall.

Any tips on finding a surveyor who doesn't simply describe what he's looking at, and actually would know what the course of action should be?
I know about RICS, but not sure that's any guarantee..

To me this looks pretty bad,

All those piers look suspiciously slender and the fact that they are poorly bonded, old masonry coupled with unsympathetically replaced modern windows. The previous windows may have added to the structural integrity. I doubt the new ones do. Horrendous design, especially the jaunty angle causing roof run-off issues.

Remedy may be internal floor-to-roof repair steels and galv' straps fixed to the roof and floor. A building surveyor can advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back