Replacing wood under slates of Victorian house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While doing some work on a 150 years old Victorian terraced house, we noticed some issues with the roof leaking in many different areas.

Some of the wood below the slates is very damaged, could you please let me know what kind of wood I should be using as a replacement? And where is the best place to source wood?

Thanks as usual!

Damaged Roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am no tradesman, so may be completely wrong, but to replace that the slates will need to be stripped as the slates will be nailed into the wood. Once you have gone to the effort of scaffolding etc it might be more worthwhile to strip the roof and apply felt and batterns (this bits of wood basically serve the same purpose as both on Victorian roofs). If the roof is original it will be 120yrs plus now so the slates are probably quite thin and due a replacement.
If you do just want to replace the wood it is normally just pine. The problem may be getting a similar thickness; I'm not sure how much variance there can be without affecting the integrity of the roof.

As above, it needs the slates removing to correct the situation.

you now have a patch of slate about to slip out.

Thanks msmsm, yep I am going to get new slates and membrane installed, was just wondering about the wood. It seems to be more cost effective to use OSB as the whole roof (except rafters) is being replaced.

Sponsored Links
if you are getting it redone you probably don't need this wood; just membrane, batten and slate. The wood just predates battens and membrane and shouldn't contribute to the structural integrity of roof (again, no expert!). In fact, not having should help the new roof breathe more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back