Replacing wooden wall with plasterboard understairs, door problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, previous owner had blocked off under stairs with plywood and stud framing with a door etc. All fine, except I hated the colour of it, and did not want to paint it. So as I am decorating hallway at the moment I decided that I would just get it plastered. I had a plasterer come round and said he would do it and I said that I would put plasterboard up etc all for him, and he was going to come in and plaster over and smooth out the entire wall. The plywood is thin and the plasterboard fitted would be same height as the already plastered wall. But this isnt a problem as he can smooth this all out he says. All fine.

Now after putting first bits up, I am starting to wonder how I am going to get the door to look right? I was wanting to use existing door, which I was going to paint or stain. Then I was going to put a frame or something around the door. But now because the plaster will sit on top, do I need to rethink this door opening etc? I am looking for some help advice on what to do.

Everywhere I read about plasterboard around a door, says put door lining up first, but this setup is a bit different as the "lining" is the stud frame that was built. A small bit of wood was used for the door jamb. It is after all just an under stairs door. For a standard door frame, how much should the wood lining protude from the stud frame for the plasterboard and plaster to sit??

Some pics

I have no problem just putting new board up, all I need is a 6'x'3 9.5mm board which costs literally nothing. I was planning to anyway I was not happy with the edge I cut, ended up a bit of a mess (first time).

This picture shows previous, minus the small architrave framing between plaster and plywood;

Sponsored Links
So I am thinking I should get a 12mm deep trim and put it around the door frame, so the plasterboard can butt against that and plasterer can then plaster to that. Then I can put a finishing architrave once all plastered. Plasterboard is 9.5mm, so that gives him 2.5mm. Should be enough? I guess it will be very fine, 12mm x 6mm perhaps? Tack with fine nails or glue?

Is this a good idea or any easier ways?

Well I went ahead with the little wood trim and its all good now. Plasterer coming on Monday. Will post pics.

You need to put more screws in (about 6 to 8 inches apart) and try not to let the head go through the paper,,,

Sponsored Links
Thanks roy. I re-did the board as it was all wrong size anyway to accommodate for wood trim. I have put same amount of screws in but will add more as you have recommended. I have also put a few screws deeper than paper. Yeah I am a novice. Learning fast! :) But reading up I should be ok if I put some more screws near them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back