replacment light switch - help required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
tried to replace a light switch last night, the one I bought from b&Q was different to what I removed

after trying various combinations i can't get my lights to work in sync

set up as follows;

lounge has a single switch by the door for the one ceiling light in the room

at the other end of the lounge is a 2 way switch, it controls the lounge light and also the kitchen light

(when i removed the existing switch it had a couple of black neutral cables together in a connecter and another short piece of wire bridging the switches), in an attempt to get the lights working i've removed this and now have 8 wires (not including earth) and 6 holes on the switch

what should go where?

wiringci5.png

tia

Sponsored Links
It depends on which of cables 1 & 2 are the supply cable. I'm assuming that the 3rd goes to the lounge light fitting, with one of the others being the supply & the next supplying the kitchen lights?
View media item 2041

Sponsored Links
If that is the case swap 7 & 4.
But it may be advisable for you to call a sparks in, it'll take him no more than 10 mins to sort it.

in the original set up the black wires from cable 1 and 2 were linked in a connector block

there is also the issue of the small piece of wire used to bridge the switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back