Replaster House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking of renovating a 1930's ish four bedroom terrace property based in the midlands that has chip wall paper everywhere. Not sure of the plaster type but it’s defiantly not plaster boarded.

I suspect upon removal of the chip wallpaper the walls will require a re-skim at the very least. There is also a couple of areas where the plaster is damaged and loose and will need replacing.

Wondered if anyone had any example quotes\cost indications to re-plaster the entire house?

Someone mentioned it could be worth going back to brick and plaster boarding it rather than just patching and skimming.

Not sure of the benefit of doing so other than opportunity to fit plasterboard or maybe it’s better from an insulation perspective?

Suspect this would increase the price dramatically, possible double it?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and indicative example prices.

Have attached a picture which hopefully indicates the plaster type.

upload_2022-5-1_17-7-48.png

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er, you'll probably get a pro along soon!
It looks to me as if you have lime plaster. My experience in an 1890's house, is that if you skim it, it might look good for a while, but will fail sooner or later.
If there are only odd patches that need repair, you can patch in lime.
However, I suspect when you remove the woodchip, you may find more problems! :confused:
I think I would take it back to brick and use plasterboard - and if you do, there is no harm in adding insulation :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back