Replastering Chimney Questions

lay on with poly float (2 coats) weird i know but it's apparently the way to do it, goes on flatter, sure you could do ok with a normal trowel though.

scour (like rubbing up, circular motions to get it flat) with cross grain float (soak in water for an hour prior) to bring fat out & trowel twice to remove fat, 1 in each hand, scour with left then trowel it off with right.

brush diagonally to remove glaze once trowelling finished with damp brush

probably best to try some on a piece of board first

Sponsored Links
Blimey TM, all very informative & impressive; you been on another course :LOL:

Sponsored Links
me neither to be honest mate, they contacted me out of the blue last year, they have a place near cheltenham, process their own lime putty but run small training courses so thought i'd give it a go and add some extra info to my knowledge bank.

lay on with poly float (2 coats) weird i know but it's apparently the way to do it, goes on flatter, sure you could do ok with a normal trowel though.

scour (like rubbing up, circular motions to get it flat) with cross grain float (soak in water for an hour prior) to bring fat out & trowel twice to remove fat, 1 in each hand, scour with left then trowel it off with right.

brush diagonally to remove glaze once trowelling finished with damp brush

probably best to try some on a piece of board first

Did i mention i was a DIY plasterer and a bumbling fool compared to you professionals...... and this sound a little bit out of my league, but what the hell it's my house so i'm going to give this ago.

TM: you say i need to "soak in water for an hour prior to bring fat out" at the risk of sounding like a fool is this the wall i need to soak?? and if so do i just use a spray bottle to keep it wet or are we talking soaking wet?? is that what you mean or have i lost track completely.

Oh!! and what does bringing the fat out mean?

Cheers

Hi PULLMYFINGER, I've been reading your threads as I am about to tackle the exact same job as you and I hope to install a wood buner too if it's not too expensive. What did you do i the end? Can you share your tips and experience, the products you used please? Cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back