replumbing for a new cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone possibly tell me what I'm looking at in this photo and if I can do what I hope I can with it? http://imgur.com/eYWwAnZ

Obviously it's a smart meter for a second feed into my house intended for a downstairs toilet only. I'm replacing the toilet and renovating. So I need to replumb from the supply to the cistern. The thing is just too damn high though. I really want to box in the meter with a box that fits under the cistern, but with the pipe coming out of the top, that's not possible. I'm hoping I can actually just remove the valve on the side instead and affix a new pipe directly there? I've verified that the blue tap controls both in the same way, so all seems to make sense, but for one thing, I can't shift that valve on the side. Should it come off with enough encouragement?

If I can put it there, then I can just shoot a pipe right across under the cistern, take it up to there and also then through the wall to a hopefully rehomed washing machine. What fixtures should I then need to connect to a regular copper pipe? I've never done any plumbing like this and especially as it's all such a limited system and so visible, i'll be safe just using 15mm copper piping and compression fittings.

TIA

Chris

Sponsored Links
From the bottom up:

Stop cock
Water meter with pulse outlet for remote reading
Isolating valve
Drain cock
Some Tectite push-fit fittings
Some yukky-pink pipe
A yukky-pink Conex elbow

Thanks, So can I do what I hope to? Should the drain cock be able to be removed from the isolating valve?

Yes you can remove the drain cock and insert a tee with the drain on the bottom. Then you can have the feed off to the right to your cistern.

You must reinstate the drain cock at the last point before the stop valve.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Yes you can remove the drain cock and insert a tee with the drain on the bottom. Then you can have the feed off to the right to your cistern.

You must reinstate the drain cock at the last point before the stop valve.

Pete
Thanks.

By "must", do you mean there is some form of regulation or it's good logical practise? There is not going to be more than 1.5m of pipework in the entire system here, so from a functional point of view I wouldn't see a real benefit in adding a drain cock.

You have said you intend to extend the pipe on from the toilet cistern, so you will need the drain valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back