Repointing above a 1st floor roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to repoint some brickwork just underneath the upstairs bathroom window. Underneath that is the small pitched roof at the back of the kitchen. Its quite a shallow pitch and comes out far enough that I can't put a ladder up and reach the wall it joins. From above it looks like this (the white space is the ground outside)

------------- wall up the rest of the house.
ggggggrrrr 1st floor roof
ggggggrrrr 1st floor roof
gggggg
gggggg
gggggg (glass = conservatory)

How can I get access to the wall? Should I strip away the slateson the roof and stand on the wooden parts of the roof ? I don't fancy the tiles' chances if I stand on them They look like slate or some other thin dark grey material.

I obviously thought about scaffolding but it would have to be across the corner of the roofsome how, since the conservatory is on the other side.

Its only a small amount of repointing but the mortar has fallen away completely - hence I want to get up and fix it.

Sponsored Links
oh go on someone give me a clue, otherwise i'll be falling off a ladder and killling myself

Difficult to say really without seeing a picture. All depends what you personally perceive as a "shallow pitch". Have you got a youngerman board that you would feel comfortable working off? Getting a scaffolder to put some proper scaffolding up may not be prohibitively expensive. As a guide, I've got some going up this week around a chimney stack that needs rebuilding - cost £200.

Whatever you decide, work safely, take your time and if it ends up costing an extra £100 so you can work in a controlled manner so be it.

Am I right in thinking you've tried to upload a photo?

Just that I can't see it.

You really need a small tower and then planks or a Youngman board onto the roof. You'll need to cushion the planks onto the roof with something.
Unless you're a big lad (sorry to sound personal), the slates, if they are slates, should hold you.

Sponsored Links
Update - i've tried taking photos but they were rubbish and I couldn't upload due to technical problems...

Having had a better look, the slates are some kind of synthetic ones, cement based I think and feel quite sturdy. The slope of the roof is about 25% I think - quite shallow. I've had to venture on to other roofs in houses I have lived in previously, and this one looks more shallow.

appreciate the attempts to help in the face of my dodgy description of the problem.

So I'll be sending the missus up there on Sunday :evil: with some mortar and instructions....no really - I suggested it as a joke and she took me seriously. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back