Repointing Brick wall - Advise needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering attempting to re-point an old brick wall in the garden. It will need lime mortar re-pointing and I have some questions.

1. What type of lime will be best? My understanding i that non-hydraulic lime is stronger, and best suited to exposed conditions, such as a brick garden wall. Is that correct?

2. The brick section I want to re-point sits on top of a bungaroosh wall. The bungaroosh itself has quite a lot of the "pointing" flaking away, but I have been advised that it is ok for now. Where the bricks sit on top of the bungaroosh, there will be quite a large space to fill in with the new pointing. So, my questions is, will it be acceptable to just push in as much new mortar as necessary for the larger gaps, or would it be better to use some other kind of filler.

3. The mortar around the bricks is basically dust in some places, so I am surprised that it is still being held up. Should I rake it out and fill in the new mortar in sections, so as to avoid the whole wall becoming too unstable?

Some photos attached to help describe the situation.

Any other tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2149.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2149.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 72
  • thumbnail_IMG_2150.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2150.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 63
  • thumbnail_IMG_2151.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2151.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 62
  • thumbnail_IMG_2152.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2152.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 69
  • thumbnail_IMG_2153.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2153.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back