Repointing Chimney Stack - Thin joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a leak in the attic around the chimney stack thats been there probably for a while now in reality

Anyway we have scaffolding in place around the chimney and while we are up there we may aswell do the repointing of the chimney stack as it has plants all over it and the crown has a big crack in it too - this crack may be the source of the problem I dont know so we will be checking the lead etc too

Anyway question is what sort of additive do you need in the motar mix for the joints and crown - just a waterproofer or is there anything else - 4:1 mix Ok or stronger???

Also some of the brickwork joints are very thin - is there any special motar mix or silicone type available for these thin joints

Hopefully we will find the source of the leak otherwise its proabably a new roof
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How thin are the joints? For really thin ones a finer sand such as silver sand is required. It's no use using a sand that's been through a 4mm sieve for 2mm joints. For the flaunching around the pots a coarser sharp sand is better.

Not sure as we havnt been up there in a while and I cant remember - some were very thin though

Heres a screen grab of wehn I sent drone up to have a look not too bad - some look a touch thin

Capture.PNG

The bed joints are quite tight. With some bricks that were regular sizes and shapes, but dense, heavy bricks such as Accringtons the bricklayers used tighter joints with a finer sand. The reason was that with a normal sized bed joint it was difficult to go up more than a couple of courses without them starting to sink, whereas with a tight joint they don't move so much.
Having small joints also means the weather does not get at them as easily. It does make them more difficult to repoint, and you need a tool thin enough to push the new in properly.

Sponsored Links
Looks very similar to mine, which I did a few weeks ago. I actually raked it out with a multitool (there wasn't much solid to offer any resistance and it was a lot safer than a grinder when working off a cat ladder). I managed with normal building sand and used a finger trowel side on to really push the mortar into the joints - it's surprising how you think you've filled it and then it pushes back.
Screenshot_20210504-093148-381.png

IMG_20210426_131902480.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back